suntimes
CHOPPY 
Weather Updates

60 Minutes or Less: Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs hosts ‘Juicebox’

'The Attic Room' presented by RE/Dance Group IntermediArts Minneapolis.  Photo: Tony Webster.

"The Attic Room" presented by RE/Dance Group at Intermedia Arts in Minneapolis. Photo: Tony Webster.

storyidforme: 45237409
tmspicid: 16782518
fileheaderid: 7551457

Updated: March 1, 2013 5:18PM

BY KYLE MACMILLAN

What: Tired of Bert and Ernie? Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events has started Juicebox, a Friday morning music and performance series geared to pre-kindergarten youngsters and their parents. The free presentations last about 45 minutes. Snacks, including, of course, juiceboxes, are welcome.

On the line-up this week is the nine-member RE/Dance Group. The dance-theater company will present excerpts from two of its productions, “The Attic Room” and “Homeland,” with time for the children to interact with the performers and get a sense of how dance works are created.

Insider’s take: “I have a 3-year-old and a 6-year-old myself, so I kind of know the audience, and I think that is going to work in my favor,” said executive director Lucy Riner. “Both of them have seen these shows, and I know what their favorite moments are. So, I’m kind of cheating, because I’m just picking what I know they liked and assuming that the other kids are going to latch onto that too. I think it will work.”

Particulars: This week’s Juicebox performance will take place at 10 a.m. Friday on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion Stage in Millennium Park. (It’s enclosed and heated). Enter through a door on the west side of the pavilion’s bandshell. Admission is free. (312) 744-3316 or cityofchicago.org/dcase.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.