suntimes
STEAMY 
Weather Updates

5 exciting TV premieres this week, from ‘The Mob Doctor’ to ‘Parks and Recreation’

Updated: October 18, 2012 6:16AM

As the fall TV season heats up, here are my five favorite premieres this week:

MONDAY

“The Mob Doctor”: 8 p.m. on WFLD-Channel 32

A surgeon (Jordana Spiro) moonlights for the mob to protect her family. Spiro’s character has the potential to develop into an intriguing antihero, but not before the plot and writing improve. Being set (and shot) in Chicago ups my interest level.

“Revolution”: 9 p.m. on WMAQ-Channel 5

It’s been 15 years since a mysterious blackout took away the world’s reliance on electricity and put a different kind of power in the wrong hands. An unlikely group sets out on a quest to make things right. The pilot has promise — and pitfalls.

WEDNESDAY

“The Challenge: Battle of the Seasons”: 9 p.m. on MTV

Who needs “Survivor?” (If you do, its new season also premieres this night on WBBM-Channel 2.) I prefer MTV’s long-running reality competition that keeps on giving with a guilty-pleasure buffet of hookups, smackdowns and backstabbing. Set in Turkey and Namibia, season 23 features a bunch of “Real World” alumni.

THURSDAY

“The Office”: 8 p.m. on WMAQ-Channel 5

Andy’s back with a vengeance, and a couple of fresh new faces report for duty to kick off the final season, stocked with surprises. Say what you will about the show since Michael Scott left, it’s still one of the best workplace comedies ever, and I’m going to miss it.

“Parks and Recreation”: 8:30 p.m. on WMAQ-Channel 5

Leslie and Andy take a field trip to Washington, D.C., to visit their significant others. (I hope they also run into the cast of “Veep” and demand to know why the HBO show was nominated for a best comedy Emmy instead of theirs.) Back in Pawnee, Ron throws a staff barbecue like only Ron can do.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.