Updated: January 10, 2013 8:10AM
After dropping out of this week’s subscription concerts due to illness, Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director Riccardo Muti has withdrawn from next week’s program as well.
Muti, who has the flu, has said that he feels more comfortable recuperating at home, a CSO spokesperson said Wednesday, and has returned to Italy. He still expects to lead the CSO on its upcoming two-week tour of Asia, beginning Jan. 25.
Replacing Muti for CSO concerts Jan. 17-19 will be Edo de Waart, music director of the Milwaukee Symphony. The Jan. 17-19 program now includes Mozart’s Symphony No. 41 (“Jupiter”) and Brahms’ Symphony No. 4. De Waart had already agreed to substitute for Muti in CSO concerts Jan. 10-15.
In addition, Miguel Harth-Bedoya, music director of the Fort Worth (Texas) Symphony Orchestra, will lead an open rehearsal Jan. 14 as part of the 2013 Chicago Youth in Music Festival. Muti had been scheduled to conduct this performance, which features members of the Civic Orchestra and Festival Orchestra (consisting of local high-school students).
Ticketholders may call CSO Patron Services at (312) 294-3000 with questions.