Updated: November 2, 2012 6:18PM
Latin music icon Vicente Fernandez will undergo surgery soon to remove a growth on his liver and therefore the remaining dates on his farewell tour will be canceled.
In a statement released Friday, his longtime label, Sony Music, reported that Fernandez must cancel the November-December dates on his “Gira de Adios” so that he could recover from surgery. “La Rey de la Cancion Ranchera,” who announced earlier this year that he would retire from the stage after almost 50 years of non-stop touring, revealed late last month that routine tests had detected a growth on his liver and that he would undergo additional diagnostic tests this week.
The concerts canceled were set for Nov. 9-11 and Nov. 29 in Los Angeles; Nov. 16 in Fresno, Calif.; Nov. 17 in Stockton, Calif.; Nov. 23 in Las Vegas; Nov. 25 in San Jose, Calif., and Dec. 14-15 in Guadalajara, Mexico. Patrons may obtain refunds from the point of purchase.
Fernandez, 71, who performed two sold-out concerts Oct. 20-21 at the Allstate Arena, also was honored with the keys to the city and a street signing in Little Village while he was in Chicago for his tour.
In the statement, Chente said: “I am calm, with a lot of optimism and a lot of faith. I know that all will be fine with the surgery. I have been very spoiled by all my family, who has been next to me through this entire this process. I thank infinitely to my fans, to the mass media, for their show of love, for being concerned and worrying about me, I ask all of you to keep praying for my health.”
Henry Cardenas, president and chief executive officer of Chicago-based CMN Events, which has promoted many of Chente’s concerts in Chicago, said, “It’s disappointing to hear about Vicente’s health. The good news is that he’s under the care of physicians who will no doubt help him through this. Chicago has a long-standing love affair with Chente, and you can sense the outpouring of support from his fans here. We wish him nothing more than a full and speedy recovery.”