Mexican icon Vicente Fernandez undergoing medical tests, cancels two concerts
BY LAURA EMERICk email@example.com October 24, 2012 1:52PM
Updated: October 24, 2012 2:12PM
Latin music icon Vicente Fernandez, here last weekend for two sold-out concerts at the Allstate Arena, announced Wednesday that doctors have discovered a small lump on his liver and that he will undergo medical tests next week in Houston.
In a statement released by his longtime label, Sony Music, the Mexican legend emphasized that he will perform three concerts in Texas this weekend on his “Gira de Adios” tour but he will cancel two shows Nov. 2-3 in Culiacan, Mexico. He plans to complete the rest of his farewell tour, which runs through mid-December.
Fernandez, 72, known worldwide as “El Rey de la Cancion Ranchera,” announced earlier this year that he would retire from the stage after almost 50 years of non-stop touring. He cited family interests and minor health concerns as the reasons. He previously underwent treatment for prostate cancer in 2003.
His doctors conducted a biopsy Tuesday in Houston and have scheduled more tests for Nov. 1-2, which is why he decided to cancel the Culiacan concerts.
“I thank [my fans] for all the tokens of affection that I have received,” he said in the statement. “I’m with my family, and we hope that next week’s results are very good. Thanks to all the people who love me and have offered prayers for me. Their support gives me the strength to keep going.”
According to the news agency EFE, after Fernandez appeared for a street-naming ceremony in Chicago, he told reporters that during a recent medical checkup, doctors found a two-centimeter growth on his liver “that shouldn’t be there.”
He added that he is not afraid but “I’m a person who is always ready to accept what God wishes. I hope this comes out [well] as everything in my life has.”