suntimes
SPRIGHTLY 
Weather Updates

5 questions for Ray Liotta, co-star of ‘Killing Them Softly’

storyidforme: 40433561
tmspicid: 14929959
fileheaderid: 6804431

Updated: December 26, 2012 6:19AM

What’s it like when a Goodfella meets a Soprano? Ray Liotta just laughs (and not in a maniacal way) when you ask him about co-starring with James Gandolfini in “Killing Them Softly.”

“He filmed in a whole different state,” Liotta says. “I’ve seen him over the year at events. We’ve met, but we never talk about that stuff.”

That being their history of playing “made men.”

“Oh, I’ve seen ‘The Sopranos’ over the years. It was a great show,” says Liotta, who isn’t the toughest of the lot in “Killing Them Softly” (opening Friday). Brad Pitt stars as a professional enforcer who investigates a poker-game heist.

1 In this film, you’re not the guy cracking heads. Was that a nice break?

It was very nice. Without ruining anything, I can say that it was great to not be the one doing all the chasing.

2 You have a scene where you get a bit beat up. Was that tough to take the hits?

It was physically demanding and exhausting because I didn’t ask for a stunt guy. I was gung-ho. My philosophy is it’s better if the actor does the stunt. I wanted it to be a case where you could keep the camera on my face the entire time.

3 You’ve done so many roles. Why do people mostly remember the bad guys?

Thank God we’re basically just a good, decent society. When you see someone so far removed from those morals, it has an impact.

4 When you run into “Goodfellas” on TV, do you watch?

I watch a few minutes. It’s just a great movie. As an actor, you want to be in a movie people will go see. To have a movie with that much staying power over the years is just really cool.

5 What’s next? A sweet comedy?

In fact, I’m about to play a preacher next year in a beautiful little story called “The Identicals,” about twins separated at birth during the Depression.

Big Picture News Inc.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.