• Rachael Ray will present a program, followed by a Q&A, 6 p.m. at Naperville North High School, 899 N. Mill St., Naperville. Admission to event is free with purchase of “My Year in Meals” from Anderson’s Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. Pre-signed books will be distributed at event. More details: (630) 355-2665; andersonsbookshop.com
• Randy Schmidt will discuss “Yesterday Once More: The Carpenters Reader,” followed by a screening of highlights from Carpenters Christmas specials, 7 p.m. at Uncharted Books, 2630 N. Milwaukee.
• Paul Bryan Roach will discuss and sign “The End,” 7:05 p.m. at Centuries & Sleuths, 7419 Madison St., Forest Park.
• Lincoln Schatz will discuss and sign “The Network,” 7 p.m. at the Book Cellar, 4736 N. Lincoln.
• Randy Schmidt will discuss “Yesterday Once More: The Carpenters Reader,” followed by a performance of “A Carpenters Christmas,” 6 p.m. at Metropolis Performing Arts Center, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights.
• T.M. Goeglein will discuss and sign “Cold Fury,” 4:30 p.m. at Chicago Public Library Lozano Branch, 1805 S. Loomis.
• “Dead or Alive,” a Chicago Slam Works competition between poets past and present. Actors portraying dead poets such as Langston Hughes, Anne Sexton and Gwendolyn Brooks face off against real-life Chicago Poets, 8 p.m. at Raven Theatre, 6157 N. Clark. Admission: $14. Info: chicagoslamworks.com.
• T.M. Goeglein will discuss and sign “Cold Fury,” 5 p.m. at Chicago Public Library Little Village Branch, 2311 S. Kedzie.
Send news to: Teresa Budasi, Chicago Sun-Times, 350 N. Orleans, Chicago 60654 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.