Lupita Nyong’o continues to dazzle with fashion choices
By Adrienne Samuels Gibbs Staff Writer March 2, 2014 8:06PM
HOLLYWOOD, CA - MARCH 02: Actress Lupita Nyong'o attends the Oscars held at Hollywood & Highland Center on March 2, 2014 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
Oscar’s leading lady frontrunner is also fashion’s latest darling.
The stylistic panache of Lupita Nyong’o, who quickly rose to fame after starring as the sad, tragically unsaveable Patsy in “12 Years a Slave,” first caught my attention last October in New York, at the movie’s premiere and press weekend. For an intimate Q&A session with Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Sarah Paulson, she wore crisply tailored pants and a peach, silk blouse that was understated yet beautiful in fit and form. It was the first of many press events and she was already flawless, as if born to it. Her style accumen became even more apparant at the Golden Globes, where she stepped out in a ravishing Ralph Lauren column gown. The red fabric + her skin = magic. From then on, she slayed everyone with her fashion choices. It was difficult narrowing down her best looks, but here are my top ten.
1.“I didn’t grow up watching the Oscars,” Lupita Nyong’o told Ryan Seacrest on tonight’s Oscar red carpet. She selected the blue Prada gown because it reminded her of Nairobi.
2. Of course the red Ralph Lauren she wore to the Golden Globes kicks off the list.
3. The kelly green Dior she donned at the BAFTAs in London. Swoon.
4. The body concious, taupe Stella McCartney dress she wore at the Producers Guild of America Awards. Do you see how Leo DiCaprio is checking her out. #SLAY girl. #SLAY (Plus, it’s oft difficult for dark-skinned girls to pull off that color, but Nyong’o does it well. The snakeskin clutch and sky high shoes don’t hurt.)
5. The be-flowered Gucci gown. The Screen Actors Guild Awards. #winning
6. Wearing an orange or russet Givenchy for the NAACP Image Awards.
7. Stunning in lavender at New York Fashion Week (and sitting next to Anna Wintour at that.)
8. In a lovely Miu Miu print at the 38th annual Toronto Film Festival.
9. Coral! This Antonio Berardi crepe sheath with the back detailing is doing the most.
10. Some decried it as too matchy matchy with her shoes, but she was demure yet sexy in golden and coral Elie Saab couture at the Palm Springs International Film Festival.