suntimes
BRISK 
Weather Updates

60 Minutes or Less: MCA Tuesdays at the Terrace

Updated: July 12, 2013 4:12PM

What: The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago isn’t just about visual art. The institution also presents a wide range of other offerings, including Tuesdays on the Terrace, which features concerts by area jazz stars and up-and-comers. This year’s edition of the 11-year-old, family-friendly series runs through Sept. 24 with free concerts each Tuesday from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Featured this week is Eastern Block. In addition to the music, the outdoor event includes art-making activities as well as a grill and cash bar. Drop in for an hour or stay for the evening.

Insider’s take: “This is a way of welcoming in both local communities and local artists who inspire creativity in the city,” said Heidi Reitmeier, the MCA’s director of education. “It could be something you come to once, but you think, ‘Next time I’ll come in and see a show.’ Or, ‘Next time I’ll come in and see a performance.’ Or, “Next time, I might come in and hear a talk.’ So, we don’t expect people to come inside the museum [during Tuesdays on the Terrace], but if they do, it’s great. If they come see the art and also listen to the music, it’s a great night out.”

Particulars: The next installment of Tuesdays on the Terrace runs from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the MCA, 220 E. Chicago. Admission is free. (312) 280-2660 or mcachicago.org.— Kyle MacMillan

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.