Updated: January 21, 2013 7:41PM
Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director Riccardo Muti had surgery without complications Monday morning in his native Italy for an inguinal hernia, according to a CSO statement.
A CSO spokeswoman said Monday afternoon that Muti’s surgery “went smoothly and he is already resting comfortably.” She said the conductor, 71, is scheduled to return to his home in Ravenna on Tuesday.
The CSO had announced last week that the hernia and surgery would cause Muti to withdraw from the CSO’s impending two-week, six-city tour of Far East Asia. Minnesota Orchestra music director Osmo Vanska will fill in as conductor at Friday and Saturday concerts in Taipei, Taiwan.