Alderman unhappy with Wolf Point delays project’s hearing
BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter December 6, 2012 5:36PM
A ground-level look at the Wolf Point proposal
Updated: January 8, 2013 6:28AM
An angry alderman Thursday delivered another setback to developers of downtown’s Wolf Point site and their three-tower project he had supported.
Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) said in an email to constituents that the matter will be removed from the agenda for the Dec. 20 meeting of the Chicago Plan Commission, which must approve zoning for the project.
Reilly already had the proposal withdrawn from the commission’s Nov. 27 meeting. He complained that the developers introduced last-minute details, including a reference to a possible 1,800 hotel rooms, that were never a part of plans aired to the community.
A spokesman for the developers said their filing’s reference to 1,800 hotel rooms was a response to the city’s request for a theoretical maximum size for lodging and not an indication of what would be built.
Reilly criticized the “piecemeal manner in which information and important project details” have been shared with the city. To drive home his point, Reilly summoned the developers to another community forum Dec. 20, the same day the plan commission will meet.
The developers include Chicago’s Kennedy’s family, Hines Interests LP and Magellan Development Group.
Reilly said that aside from the reference to hotel rooms, the developers’ filing with the city “did not include a long list of previously negotiated changes and improvements to the proposal.”
Wolf Point is just west of the Merchandise Mart, where the Chicago River divides into branches. It is within Reilly’s ward.
The proposal calls for a 510-unit apartment on the site’s western edge as a first phase. Later phases could be years away and depend on market conditions, with the tallest structure being 950 feet.