Sara Lee bakery outlets to close
BY SANDRA GUY Business Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org June 22, 2012 10:32AM
Updated: June 22, 2012 10:38AM
No more stopping at a Sara Lee bakery outlet store for a splurge on a deep-discount Sara Lee danish, cheesecake or pound cake.
Sara Lee’s impending split into two companies means the end of its bakery outlet stores. The 11 stores nationwide, including two in Chicago and seven in the suburbs, will close by the end of November, putting 75 people out of work, company spokesman Mike Cummins said Thursday. The employees may apply for job openings elsewhere at Sara Lee.
The new bakery and meats company, Hillshire Brands, and international coffee and tea company D.E. Master Blenders 1753, will start operating as separate businesses on June 28.
The local outlet stores are at the following locations:
* Chicago — 4028 W. 59th St. and 7650 W. Touhy Ave.
* Downers Grove — 2223 Ogden Ave.
* Homewood — 183rd Street and Governors Highway
* Oak Lawn — 5701-5721 W. 95th St.
* Palatine — Park Place Fashion Centre
* Riverside — 2704 S. Harlem Ave.
* Skokie — 3760 W. Dempster
* Streamwood — 100-102 N. Barrington Road