Weather Updates

Cop’s bogus claim got woman yanked from funeral: prosecutors

Updated: November 10, 2011 3:32PM

Debra Green was riding in a funeral procession for her sister last year when she noticed a motorist rudely weaving in and out of the line of mourners’ cars.

Green yelled at the driver, who turned out to be an off-duty Chicago Police officer late for work at a South Side station.

The officer, Sylshina London, allegedly called other officers for help. Soon, Green was arrested for misdemeanor battery after London accused her of throwing a bottle out of a car window and hitting London in the face.

On Wednesday, Cook County prosecutors said London’s accusations were false. London, 36, was charged with felony perjury for allegedly lying in a trial that led to Green’s conviction.

“We will not tolerate this type of misconduct from any citizen, particularly a police officer, and we will actively seek charges whenever we discover evidence that proves a citizen has lied on the witness stand,” Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said.

Prosecutors said they have thrown out Green’s conviction. She was sentenced to three years’ probation and didn’t serve any time behind bars, officials said.

London, who resigned from the department this year after a nine-year career, was freed in lieu of $30,000 bail on Wednesday.

On March 19, 2010, London was driving a white Lexus to work at the Gresham District police station when she cut in and out of a funeral procession for Michele Green, prosecutors said. The mourners had just left A.R. Leak and Sons Funeral Home at 78th and Cottage Grove.

Debra Green, 31, angrily yelled at London from the passenger seat of the Pontiac Grand Prix she was riding in at 79th and Vincennes, and she pointed to a funeral procession sticker on the car, prosecutors said.

London then allegedly radioed a 10-1 call — for an officer in need of assistance.

Numerous police vehicles were waiting for the procession at 100th and Vincennes, and Green and several other family members were detained, causing them to miss the burial, prosecutors said.

London falsely testified against Green at a trial on Sept. 21, 2010, claiming Green threw the bottle at her from the passenger seat, prosecutors said.

Green was convicted, but the Independent Police Review Authority continued a separate investigation that was launched after several of the mourners filed complaints.

The investigators discovered that a Chicago Police blue-light camera had captured the incident. And the video recording from the camera near 79th and Vincennes showed that London’s driver-side window was up at the time she said the bottle hit her through an open window, prosecutors said.

Neighbors said London has moved to North Carolina. A hearing on the criminal charges against her is scheduled for Nov. 8. Her lawyer declined comment.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.