suntimes
ROUGH 
Weather Updates

1-year-old boy found safe after carjacking on Chicago’s South Side

AngelMoffett relaxes porch southside. Last night she was carjacked with her baby car. She said 'The police said they would

Angela Moffett relaxes on the porch on the southside. Last night she was carjacked with her baby in the car. She said "The police said they would find my baby and they found him in less than 2 hours and I want to thank the Chicago Police Department." Thursday, June 23, 2011 | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times

storyidforme: 14206823
tmspicid: 4922242
fileheaderid: 2425976
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: June 24, 2011 2:13AM

A 1-year-old boy was found safe after two armed men stole his mother’s car — while the boy slept in the backseat — early Thursday on the South Side.

Angela Moffett, 21, ended her shift at the Old Country Buffet and stopped near a park at 7121 S. Calumet at 4:25 a.m. Two men approached Moffett and, at gunpoint, took her 2001 Hyundai Sonata, police said. Her son, Jeremiah Simpson, was sleeping in the backseat.

After police arrived, Moffett told them, “My baby is in there. He’s wearing a jumpsuit,’’ a police commander said.

“They just basically robbed us,” Moffett later told reporters.

Two hours later, the men left the car at 6960 S. Anthony, police said. While the radio had been stolen, Simpson was fine and still asleep, police said. The child was taken to the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital Thursday morning but later sent home with his mother.

“As long as my son is OK, that’s all that matters,” Moffett said.

The carjackers are still being sought.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.