Weather Updates

Man shot after shooting at police at South Side park: cops

Chicago Fire Dept. Paramedics work shooting victim GrCrossing Park 7600 s Ingleside. Sunday June 19 2011 | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times

Chicago Fire Dept. Paramedics work on a shooting victim in Grand Crossing Park 7600 s Ingleside. Sunday, June 19, 2011 | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times

storyidforme: 13938333
tmspicid: 4844385
fileheaderid: 2398924
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: June 21, 2011 1:53PM

A South Side park erupted into chaos Sunday afternoon when a shoot-out between police and an alleged gunman interrupted families’ Father’s Day celebrations.

The shooting, in Grand Crossing Park near 77th Street and Ingleside Avenue, left the alleged offender critically wounded and sent three police officers to the hospital with unspecified injuries, officials said.

About 6:25 p.m., uniformed Gresham District officers were in the area of 77th and Ingleside when shots were fired in nearby Grand Crossing Park, according to a statement from police News Affairs.

Crowds of people were running from the park, where a man in a white t-shirt was holding a 9 mm gun with an extended magazine, according to Pat Camden, spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police Chicago Lodge No. 7.

The officers responded to the park, and were confronted by an armed offender, who pointed and fired the weapon in their direction, the police statement said.

“(The officers) yelled, ‘Police! Drop your gun!’” Camden said. “Instead he fired a shot at the police.”

The officers fired back at and struck the man, police said.

The man was taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, according to Fire Media Affairs Chief Joe Roccasalva. His age was unknown Sunday evening.

Camden described the resulting scene as chaotic, prompting police to call a 10-1 -- an emergency call for an officer who needs assistance. Police who responded worked to evacuate the park, according to unconfirmed dispatch reports.

Three police officers were taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park in good condition, with minor injuries, Roccasalva said. Their exact injuries were not immediately known, though Camden said the injuries were likely suffered when the officers were trying to control crowds after the shooting.

Unconfirmed reports also indicated that a civilian was Tasered and transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center.

A large number of families had been in the park celebrating Father’s Day at the time of the incident, Camden said.

A spokesman for the Independent Police Review Authority, which investigates all police-involved shootings, was not immediately available. A weapon was recovered at the scene, police said.

At the same time, a shooting was also reported at 77th and Cottage Grove Avenue, about two blocks away. Police did not have any information on this reported shooting.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.