Updated: August 29, 2014 1:12PM
Two Southwest Side men have been charged in a shooting that left a 3-year-old boy with bullet wounds in his stomach and hip Friday night.
Alger Sanchez, 19, and Anton Aseves, 22, were charged Sunday with one count each of aggravated battery/discharge of a firearm and two counts each of attempted first-degree murder, according to a statement from Chicago Police.
About 10 p.m. Friday, the boy, Jason Ares, was shot in the hip and abdomen while standing next to his mother in the 4400 block of South Sacramento Avenue.
Jason was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. He was listed in fair condition Sunday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Jason’s mother, April Steve, said she thought the gunman was shooting at her home in retaliation for a recent gang-related shooting.
Sanchez, of the 4100 block of South Francisco Avenue, and Aseves, of the 4000 block of South Francisco Avenue, were scheduled to appear in bond court Monday.
As of midnight Sunday, 26 people had been shot in Chicago — one fatally — in 20 separate incidents since 6 p.m. Friday.
The single largest shooting occurred about 6 p.m. Friday in the 700 block of South California in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. Samuel Walker, 13, was killed, and six people were injured.
The carnage began when two gunmen got out of a car and opened fire. One of the bullets hit the boy in the head. He was pronounced dead on the scene a short time later. Five other victims, all males, suffered lower-body wounds. A sixth man had a graze wound in his stomach.
Sandra Williams, Walker’s aunt, said her nephew had just finished summer school and was on his way to buy chips from a convenience store when he was shot.
Walker had a documented gang affiliation, and some of the other victims also were gang-affiliated, police said.
“He was a good kid. He loved basketball and swimming,” Williams said on the steps of her sister’s home on Saturday.
“This is just too much,” Williams said. “We can’t handle this.”