Weather Updates

Woman stabbed to death at NW Indiana hospital; man found dead in her home

A woman was stabbed Methodist Hospitals Southlake Campus Merrillville Friday. |  Sun-Times MediFile Photo

A woman was stabbed at Methodist Hospitals Southlake Campus in Merrillville on Friday. | Sun-Times Media File Photo

storyidforme: 69012954
tmspicid: 24462770
fileheaderid: 12205420
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: July 11, 2014 2:23PM

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. — Police have a man in custody early Friday after a woman was killed in a Merrillville, Ind. hospital and a man was also found dead at a residence in Gary.

The victims were identified by the Lake County (Ind.) Coroner’s Office as Margrine Haywood, 80, and James Haywood, 88. Both died of multiple stab wounds, according to the coroner’s office.

Margrine Haywood was pronounced dead at 1:50 a.m.; James Haywood was pronounced dead at 4:40 a.m.

Police responded about 12:25 a.m. at Methodist Hospital Southlake Campus, at 8701 Broadway in Merrillville, authorities said.

A woman, who was a patient at the hospital, was stabbed to death, Merrillville Police Department Chief of Detectives Robert Wiley told reporters. The hospital was locked down for nearly six hours while police investigated.

During the investigation, police responded to the woman’s home in the 1500 block of Hovey Street in Gary and found a man dead, said Gary Chief of Police Wade Ingram. Ingram said the man’s death was a homicide.

The suspect was arrested in the 3800 block of Carolina Street in Gary, police said. Charges were pending Friday morning.

Neighbors along Hovey Street remembered the elderly couple as being “like family.”

“All of us are in a state of shock,” said Harold West, one of the victims’ neighbors in the 1500 block of Hovey Street who was watching the scene unfold.

As news crews lined Hovey, a quiet, well-kept dead-end street off of 15th Avenue, neighbors gathered on the steps of West’s home, directly across the street from the Haywoods. They fielded questions from reporters and phone calls from family and friends concerned for their safety.

West said his daughter had called him at 3 a.m. to see if he was OK. The group began to gather and watched when the Lake County Coroner removed James Haywood from the home in a body bag on a stretcher.

“It’s a great neighborhood. We’re like family here,” West said. “We’re all in awe, just shocked and in awe. You have got to be kidding me.”

West said the Haywoods had two sons, who would come by the home. He did not know if there were other children. One of the sons would often look after the elderly couple, who lived alone.

Margrine Haywood, who they say has been in poor health for a while, was taken to the hospital July 4. James Griffin, another neighbor, said he had known James Haywood for years. Griffin said Haywood was a long-time employee of the Gary Housing Authority before retiring.

Meanwhile, over at the hospital, the lockdown had been lifted by 6:20 a.m. and the hospital was operating at usual, according to hospital spokeswoman Evelyn Morrison.

Contributing: Ashlee Rezin, Carrie Napoleon, Megan Graham.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.