suntimes
LABORIOUS 
Weather Updates

5 kids hurt in drive-by on South Side

1xMGZibTq0K6-6j11fK2vYNnJOuczzL1

Five children were injured drive-by shooting Sunday night near Marquette Michigan.  |  Brian Jackson/Sun-Times

Five children were injured in a drive-by shooting Sunday night near Marquette and Michigan. | Brian Jackson/Sun-Times

storyidforme: 65255632
tmspicid: 23340094
fileheaderid: 11391759
Video: Cousin talks about kids shot on South Side
Map: Weekend shootings tracker
Article Extras
Story Image
Maps

Updated: April 21, 2014 3:42AM

Five children were injured in a drive-by shooting Sunday night in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood on the South Side.

They were shot near 66th and Michigan about 7:40 p.m., police said.

An 11-year-old girl was shot in the neck and taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, police said. A 15-year-old girl, who had a gunshot wound in her right arm, also was taken to Stroger.

A 14-year-old girl was shot in the abdomen and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in serious condition, police said. A 14-yera-old boy, who was wounded in his left leg, also was taken to Comer.

A 14-year-old girl later walked into Saint Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center with a graze wound in her buttocks, police said.

Several young women said there had been an argument that turned into a confrontation at the Brownell Elementary School playground before the shooting. The drive-by shooting happened about 100 yards away from the school.

All of the women who witnessed the park incident said they were afraid to walk in the area and were asking police to take them home.

Outside the U. of C. hospital, an uncle of the 14-year-olds, who didn’t want to give his name, said the kids spent the day celebrating Easter at a church at 76th and Halsted until about 3:30 p.m. before heading to the playground. At least a dozen children, including a couple of babies, were in the playground when the shots were fired, another family member said.

One of the girls, who was shot in the forearm, raced into a home nearby, where a 13-year-old girl said she wrapped a white T-shirt around the injured girl’s arm before an ambulance arrived.

“I’m just sitting there on my phone and then the next thing you know, I hear do do do do do,” the 13-year-old girl said. “It’s just tragic how all these kids over here are getting shot.”

“There was a lot of blood,” she said. “I had a feeling that if I had come over here I would be one of those people who got shot, too,” said the girl, whose brother had barely survived a previous neighborhood shooting. “It’s tragic. . . . It’s just too much.”

Outside Stroger Hospital, Crystal Rias talked about her cousins — two of the young girls who were shot: “A little girl on Easter Sunday was shot four times playing in the playground of their school. It’s sad to say that on the South Side of Chicago, babies are dying every day. We need to really stop the violence. We really do.”

Contributing: Reema Amin

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.