Weather Updates

Two arrested after off-duty cop shoots alleged home invader

Two people are in custody after an off-duty Chicago Police officer shot one of three men who tried to break into his home Friday afternoon in the Far South Side Roseland neighborhood, police said.

The officer was at home in the 9600 block of South Princeton Avenue about noon when the suspects tried to break in, police News Affairs said in a statement.

After one suspect pointed a handgun at the officer, the officer, fearing for his life, fired at him, police said. Two of the men, including the one who was shot, fled in a stolen vehicle, but were halted near 89th Street and Yale Avenue and arrested.

One man had been shot and is in serious condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said.

Independent Police Review Authority spokesman Larry Merritt confirmed the officer-involved shooting, and said his department was notified just before 1 p.m.

Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden defended the officer’s actions, saying the 33-year-old officer was with his 7-year-old daughter at the time.

The officer saw a van parked in front of his house about noon. Someone rang the doorbell, but the officer he did not open the door, assuming the visitor was a solicitor, Camden said. He then heard someone trying to pry open the front door and saw the van outside pulling up to the side of the house, he said.

The officer sent his daughter to her bedroom and called 911 before going outside and through the side door. He was two men in front of his house and another in the driver’s seat of the van, Camden said.

One man ran away northbound on Princeton Avenue; the other ran toward the officer on his way to the van, Camden said. As the man was getting into the van, he pointed a gun at the off-duty officer, who shot the man in his left shoulder, Camden said. The van then led police on a chase before crashing, he said.

Charges are pending against the injured suspect and the driver of the van, authorities said. The man who ran away is still at large, according to Camden.

Area South detectives and the Independent Police Review Authority are investigating.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.