suntimes
THORNY 
Weather Updates

14-year-old’s message in the snow lifts spirits of ailing mom

With help from his dad uncle Saturday 14-year-old Will Hart stamped this 'HI MOM GOD BLESS U' message his mother

With help from his dad and uncle on Saturday, 14-year-old Will Hart stamped this "HI MOM GOD BLESS U" message to his mother, Sharon Hart, 48, on the snowy roof of a parking garage adjacent to Rush University Medical Center, where she was being treated for acute myeloid leukemia. | Photo courtesy of Rush University Medical Center

storyidforme: 61966442
tmspicid: 22370414
fileheaderid: 10679909
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: March 13, 2014 10:51AM

Will Hart knew his mom was weak from chemotherapy, but he called her room at Rush University Medical Center and asked her to take a look out the window.

With help from a nurse, Sharon Hart got out of bed Saturday and drew back the shades of her twelfth-floor window.

“At that moment, I was feeling the most pure form of joy you could imagine,” she said about the view from her window.

Will, 14, had stamped the words “HI MOM” on the snow-covered roof of the adjacent parking garage with a little help from his dad and uncle.

“I proceeded to blow him kisses and wave at him . . . Something as simple as a message in snow made me so happy, and I actually started crying a bit,” said Hart, 48, who was admitted to Rush days earlier after being diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.

A few minutes after her family members left the hospital, Hart received another “Look out the window! Look out the window!” phone call from her son, who attends Bolingbrook High School.

The trio had stamped an addendum in the snow: “GOD BLESS U.”

“They wanted to write ‘GOD BLESS U ALL,’ but ran out of room,” she said.

“He also was thinking of everyone else in the hospital, to feel better and be lifted by this,” Sharon Hart said.

The photo and its message have gone viral on social media.

“The snowy note had a ripple effect throughout the hospital,” said Jennifer Cranston, a registered nurse.

“I think it just kind of warms the heart to see a child try to support their parent in such a lovely way,” Cranston said.

Email: mdudek@suntimes.com

Twitter: @mitchdudek

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.