Weather Updates

Mom of teen killed after basketball game sues Chicago State, CPS

Tyrone LawsMorgan Park High School student was fatally shot Jan. 16 2013 ouside Chicago State University after Simeon-Morgan Park basketball

Tyrone Lawson, a Morgan Park High School student, was fatally shot on Jan. 16, 2013, ouside Chicago State University after a Simeon-Morgan Park basketball game.

storyidforme: 60742796
tmspicid: 15991157
fileheaderid: 7192803
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: January 17, 2014 1:21AM

The mother of a teen who was fatally shot last year outside Chicago State University after a basketball game is suing the school, its police chief and the Chicago Board of Education and Chicago Public schools, claiming they could have prevented her son’s death.

Pamela Wright Young filed the suit in Cook County Circuit Court on Thursday. Her 17-year-old son, Tyrone Lawson, was shot to death on Jan. 16, 2013, outside the university’s gym after a high school basketball game between Morgan Park High School and Simeon Career Academy.

The shooting happened about 9:20 p.m., after the game, near a parking lot outside the gym on the campus at 95th Street and King Drive, police said at the time.

CPS routinely uses CSU facilities as a “neutral setting” for student athletic events, according to a statement by CSU after the shooting.

Lawson, a Morgan Park student, met some friends at CSU to watch the game, but he was not able to get into the arena, which was filled to capacity, according to the suit. They remained on CSU property outside the gym during the game.

At the end of the game, a fight broke between two players from both teams, and other fights started outside the gym as people were escorted out and the crowd dispersed, according to the suit.

As the game was letting out, two men approached Lawson and his friends. One o of the men opened fire, according to the suit. Lawson and a friend ran in the direction of the back parking lot and the CSU police department, looking for safety, the suit claims.

Lawson was shot multiple times and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he died at 9:51 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

The lawsuit claims that there was no CSU security or police presence in the parking lot at the time of the shooting, and that security at the game failed to properly screen for weapons.

“Tyrone’s mother thought he would be safe at a neutral location chosen for its security policies,” Martin Dolan, attorney for Lawson’s family, said in a statement. “That’s why she let him attend, and that’s why she’s grieving the loss of her son today.”

The 11-count suit charges CSU, CPS, the Chicago Board of Education and Watson with wrongful death and negligence and seeks more than $500,000 in damages.

Watson and representatives for CSU, CPS and the Board of Education could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

Two brothers — Michael McNabb, 33, and Stephen Gilbert, 30 — were arrested and charged with first-degree murder in Lawson’s death, prosecutors said.

Both men pleaded not guilty to the murder charge, and they are due back in court Feb. 10.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.