suntimes
SPRIGHTLY 
Weather Updates

84-year-old dead, 6 injured in Oak Brook carbon monoxide leak

Oak Brook police close Oak Brook Hills Road as they investigate carbmonoxide incident home street. | James C. Svehla/for Sun-Times

Oak Brook police close Oak Brook Hills Road as they investigate a carbon monoxide incident at a home on the street. | James C. Svehla/for Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 60710189
tmspicid: 21991650
fileheaderid: 10402933
Article Extras
Story Image
Maps

Updated: January 16, 2014 7:13PM



An 84-year-old man is dead and six woman injured as a result of a carbon monoxide leak at an Oak Brook mansion.

The Oak Brook Fire Department was called to a home at 2900 Oak Brook Hills Road about 9:45 a.m. for a female having difficulty breathing.

Firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide upon arrival, and measured 1,000 parts per million, said Acting Fire Chief Gary Clark, who said symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning begin to appear at 200 parts per million.

“Even at 1,000 (parts per million) it could have been fatal to all of them,” Clark said.

The 84-year-old man was found unresponsive in a bathroom of the home. There were eight other people in the home, ages 20 to 70, some family and some domestic help. Only six of the other residents were reported injured.

Clark said the carbon monoxide readings were strongest near an indoor pool of the approximately 15,000-square-foot house, and that is being investigated as a possible source. There is a heating system for the swimming pool.

Ambulances from five departments responded to the home and helped transport victims to Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove. Clark said no foul play is suspected in the incident.

.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.