Weather Updates

Man charged with rape took one victim to his godmother’s home: prosecutors

Updated: February 3, 2014 2:11PM

In less than 24 hours, a homeless schizophrenic man allegedly carjacked and raped two women —taking one victim to his godmother’s residence and, later, buying drugs while driving on the West Side with his second victim, a senior citizen, authorities said.

James Whiteside threatened his first victim with scissors and took the $400 she received as a holiday gift in Thursday’s late night attack that began outside a White Castle, at 3132 N. Harlem Ave., Cook County prosecutors said Tuesday.

After telling the 23-year-old woman he’d kill her if she continued scream, Whiteside pushed her into the passenger seat of her parked car, and drove her to a side street where he forced her to perform a sex act and raped her, according to Assistant State’s Attorney Elizabeth Dibler.

Whiteside, 30, proceeded to drive after the assault but the car ended up breaking down, Dibler said.

Whiteside allegedly tossed the car keys and then took the woman’s Christmas money, before forcing her to go with him an ATM and attempt to withdraw money.

When the woman was unable to withdraw cash, Whiteside allegedly took her to a gas station where he gave a man $50 to drive them to his godmother’s home, in the 1100 block of North Keeler Ave.

The victim didn’t speak up at Whiteside’s relative’s house during the less than hour stay because Whiteside had threatened to kill her on the spot if she made a peep, authorities said.

Whiteside and others later took a cab ride with the victim and dropped her off at the intersection of Harlem and Belmont avenues, ending a roughly 2-hour ordeal, Dibler said.

Hours later at 4 p.m. Friday, the second victim, 69, was getting into her car in a parking lot near the Midway Orange Line Stop, where the masked Whiteside shoved her into the vehicle and told her he had a gun and a knife, Dibler said.

Whiteside then took off his mask and grabbed the woman’s money, debit card and cell phone before raping her, Dibler said.

Whiteside paid the parking lot fee, exited the facility and cruised around the West Side, buying drugs at least twice while his second victim was in the car, Dibler said.

Whiteside later flagged down a man walking down the street and gave him the victim’s bank card and PIN number, Dibler said.

That man withdrew money for Whiteside from an ATM and drove around with Whiteside and the victim, Dibler said.

Whiteside eventually dropped the man off at a bus stop — but not before giving the man some of the stolen cash, authorities said. After driving around a bit more, Whiteside abandoned the woman and her car on the West Side, Dibler said.

The victim then drove herself to a hospital.

As they pieced together clues, Chicago Police detective wound up at the home of Whiteside’s godmother on Saturday. Residents there said Whiteside told them in explicit detail he’d robbed and raped a woman, Chicago Police said.

During the investigation, Whiteside walked into the house and stumbled upon the detectives, Dibler said. He tried to run away but was caught in a stairwell of a nearby building in the 4100 block of West Crystal Street.

In court Tuesday, authorities said Whiteside allegedly admitted to another person about his role in the rapes and robberies. He was also identified by both his victims, Dibler said.

Whiteside’s last known address is in the 600 block of West Deming Place but he is currently homeless and suffers from schizophrenia, Assistant Public Defender Sandra Bennewitz said.

Whiteside is “truly putting people in danger. He is a danger to himself and society,” Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil said before ordering him held without bond Tuesday.

Contibuting: Jon Seidel


Twitter: @rummanahussain

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.