suntimes
COMFY 
Weather Updates

South Side boy, 11, killed by carjacker; ‘He took our angel from us,’ mom says

Donovan Anthony Turnage. 11 with family member.  |  Family photo

Donovan Anthony Turnage. 11, with a family member. | Family photo

storyidforme: 59627799
tmspicid: 21668500
fileheaderid: 10217448

Updated: January 23, 2014 6:51AM



An 11-year-old South Side boy, on his way to get a Christmas haircut with his father and older brother, was killed Saturday when a carjacked vehicle being chased by the police crashed into them in Englewood.

“He took our angel from us,” the boy’s mother, Annette Turnage, 51, said of the carjacker, who got away.

Donovan Anthony Turnage was a fifth-grader at Morrill Math & Science School.

His mother said he loved football and video games, had a pet bird and a pet turtle and loved being with his family.

Losing him just days before Christmas “is very painful,” she said. “He was looking forward to opening his presents on Christmas.”

Donovan’s older brother, 20, also was in his family’s Chevrolet Suburban, and so was their father. They were on their way to get haircuts, Turnage said as family and friends gathered Saturday night at her home in Chicago Lawn.

Around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, officers on patrol saw an armed carjacking in the 5000 block of South Princeton Avenue and drove off after the stolen vehicle, until it crashed into the Turnages’ Suburban near Garfield Boulevard and Halsted Street, according to the police.

Turnage said her husband told her he had a green light at Halsted when they were hit.

“This other car came out of nowhere,” she said, hitting the rear of their vehicle and spinning it around. “They ended up on the sidewalk.”

Donovan had been in the back seat, she said, but “the impact was so hard it threw him out the back passenger window.”

Donovan was pronounced dead at the University of Chicago’s Comer Children’s Hospital at 1:35 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

After crashing into the Suburban, the armed carjacker stole a second vehicle and got away, according to the police.

Police spokesman Adam Collins said the police chase will be reviewed, as every pursuit is, by the department’s Traffic Review Board. “Until that review takes place, there’s not much more we can say,” Collins said.

The carjacker then drove the second stolen vehicle, a silver sport-utility vehicle, to Oak Brook, where he abandoned it on the Tri-State Tollway, according to the Illinois State Police and flagged down a 2007 Honda sedan that he carjacked — the third vehicle he carjacked.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.