suntimes
SUITABLEĀ 
Weather Updates

12 treated after carbon monoxide leak in Skokie

Maps

Updated: December 19, 2013 10:45AM



A dozen people were taken to hospitals after a malfunctioning furnace caused a carbon monoxide leak early Thursday at an apartment building in Skokie.

A resident of the building in the 8000 block of Keating Avenue called 911 shortly before 2:30 a.m. to report people feeling ill, and arriving police and firefighters realized it was a carbon monoxide leak, Skokie police said.

Twelve people, including several children, were evacuated from the building and taken to hospitals to be checked.

None was reported to be in serious condition, and all were expected to recover, according to the Skokie Fire Department, which said the leak was caused by a faulty gas furnace.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.