Northbrook Court evacuated over gas leak
BY MITCHELL ARMENTROUT Staff Reporter November 16, 2013 3:46PM
Workers and shoppers on Saturday afternoon wait to be let back into Northbrook Court | Karie Angell Luc/for Sun-Times Media
Updated: December 18, 2013 6:51AM
A popular north suburban mall was reopened Saturday after the building was evacuated for a gas leak.
Firefighters received a call from Northbrook Court mall at 1:49 p.m. about the gas leak, which started after a contractor working at the mall hit a natural gas line as he was digging, Northbrook Fire Dist. Chief Jim Richards said.
Mall officials had the building evacuated as natural gas began venting into the building, Richards said.
Nicor Gas workers capped the leak and the building was reopened at 3:52 p.m., he said.
No one was injured, Richards said.