Weather Updates

Man kills wife, himself after trying out for ‘Family Feud’: sources

Police tape Will County Sheriff's squad car are seen Joliet Township home where police believe man killed his wife then

Police tape and a Will County Sheriff's squad car are seen at a Joliet Township home where police believe a man killed his wife and then himself early Monday. | Brian Stanley~Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 55805089
tmspicid: 20433124
fileheaderid: 9482893
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: November 2, 2013 6:32AM

JOLIET TOWNSHIP — Hours after trying out for a spot on the “Family Feud” game show, a Joliet Central High School security guard shot his new wife to death early Monday and then turned the gun on himself, sources said.

Marcus T. Crosby and family members tried out for the popular game show on Sunday, but his wife, Kearra Hosey did not, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation. A person at the couple’s home, who did not want to be identified, confirmed the tryout. A spokeswoman for “Family Feud” said production staffers were in transit Monday and could not confirm the appearance.

Will County Sheriff’s police said officers responded to a report of shots fired at 12:08 a.m. Monday at a house in the 200 block of Independence Avenue, where officers found Hosey, 35, and Crosby, 36, with fatal gunshot wounds, sheriff’s police spokeswoman Kathy Hoffmeyer said.

An ambulance from the East Joliet Fire Department was called, but both were pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

Police said a relative of Crosby, who also lived in the house, heard the shots fired. He told police the couple had been fighting in their bedroom. Police say Crosby shot Hosey and then killed himself.

Coroner Patrick O’Neil said an autopsy Monday showed that Hosey died from multiple gunshot wounds and Crosby from a single shot.

Hosey’s family didn’t sense anything was amiss with the newlyweds, said Marilyn Coutee, Hosey’s aunt.

“They had their ups and downs, like any marriage. But nothing this extreme,” Coutee said.

But Joliet Police said Crosby was arrested a year ago after the couple got into a dispute when Hosey was moving out of a different residence. They each filed for an order of protection against the other. A judge denied Crosby’s request, court records show. Hosey’s request was granted but was dismissed three weeks later at her request, according to records.

In seeking the order of protection, Hosey told authorities that Crosby had threatened to shoot her and that he kept a handgun in his dresser drawer and a Taser in his bedroom, court records show.

Also, sheriff’s police said they were called to the Independence Avenue address in July on a domestic dispute call, but no arrest was made.

Coutee said the couple were together off and on for some time before their June wedding in Las Vegas.

“They had a wonderful time. It was a beautiful wedding, from the pictures,” said Coutee, who did not attend due to a scheduling conflict.

In the early hours Monday, someone texted Hosey’s mother, Jeanette Hosey, saying she should get over to her daughter’s house because something had happened there, Coutee said.

Jeanette Hosey called Coutee about 1:40 a.m. Monday, and they headed to the house. They didn’t go in or get much information because the house was taped off and police were investigating the shootings, Coutee said.

Kearra Hosey, a Joliet native who attended Joliet Central, had been working at Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Naperville.

“She was a very loving and caring person. She was like the life of the party,” Coutee said. “She’s going to be missed dearly.”

The last time the whole family was together, Coutee said, was at a Fourth of July party planned by Hosey, where she and Crosby seemed happy together.

“I couldn’t believe [this happened]. I’m still trying to process it,” Coutee said. “It’s like a bad dream; you just want to wake up.”

Cameron Hosey, cousin to Kearra, was woken up in the middle of the night with news of her death. It was the second loss of someone close to homicide this year for Hosey, whose stepson, Terrance Rankins, was a victim in the Hickory Street murders in January.

“It’s like my stepson. You’re dying too young,” Cameron Hosey said. “We’ve lost a lot of young ones over something that could have been solved in a matter of minutes — something not worth dying for.”

He described Kearra as a lady and “real polite.”

He said he would most often see his cousin when she was working as a teller at the BMO Harris drive-up bank branch downtown. He said he never met Marcus Crosby.

Some neighbors said the couple were good neighbors, and there were no signs of trouble at the house, though they said they didn’t know them well.

“They were really nice,” said Chalondria Boyd, who introduced herself to the couple when they moved into the house about a year ago.

There were many family gatherings at the house, she said.

“They always had little parties going on,” Boyd said. “They seemed very pleasant. I always saw kids running around and having a nice time.”

Matt Parthun, who lives a couple of doors down, said his 5-year-old son would sometimes play with kids at the couple’s house.

“They were really pretty nice,” Parthun said. “They would wave and everything.”

Jeanette Hosey declined to comment Monday.

On Sept. 16, 2012, Joliet police arrested Crosby for domestic battery when the couple was living in the 500 block of Strong Avenue, but he was not charged, prosecutors said.

Police Lt. Brian Dupuis said the couple “got into an argument as she was moving out and taking her property that escalated and he pushed her down the stairs.”

Court records show that Hosey also got an order of protection against Crosby in May 2000, which was dismissed when nobody appeared in court.

Records indicate that Crosby was convicted of vandalism in 1998 and found not guilty of assault during a 2007 bench trial. He was arrested in 2004 for criminal sexual assault but was not tried because the victim was “unavailable,” according to court records, which do not identify the victim in that alleged incident.

In a prepared statement, Joliet Township High School District 204 confirmed that Crosby was a member of the security staff at Joliet Central.

“This was a tragic incident, and our thoughts are with all who were affected. Personnel matters are confidential and employee information cannot be disclosed,” the statement said.

Contributing: Bob Okon

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.