Weather Updates

Man charged with July 4 shooting of 7-year-old

Marshan D. Bradley. Photo/Chicago Police.

Marshan D. Bradley. Photo/Chicago Police.

storyidforme: 51930307
tmspicid: 19268220
fileheaderid: 8746992

Updated: July 10, 2013 2:56PM

A Far South Side man was ordered held without bail Wednesday for allegedly shooting and injuring a 7-year-old boy while he was celebrating the Fourth of July at a family barbeque.

Before firing shots, Marshan D. Bradley gave “menacing” looks from a blue Pontiac as the vehicle crept past the party three times at Chatham’s Cole Park, Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Erin Antonietti said.

Bradley eventually emerged from a nearby an alley and opened fire into the crowd at the barbeque in the 350 block of East 85th, Antonietti said.

The boy was struck in the left side of the neck by two bullets and Bradley, 21, fled in a vehicle, authorities said. He was released from Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn a day later, according to his relatives.

Bradley was arrested on Sunday and was identified in a photo array and line-up by witnesses, Antonietti said.

Chicago Police do not believe the child was the intended target, but said he was standing near alleged gang members when he was hit at 7:30 p.m. that night.

“Seven thirty is (a) reasonable time for a seven-year-old to be celebrating with his family,” Antonietti said Wednesday, urging Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. to keep Bradley behind bars.

Bradley, of the 10900 block of South Vincennes Avenue, was charged with aggravated battery with a firearm for the attack. He was sentenced to two years probation on drug charges in May.

Outside of court Wednesday, the mother of Bradley’s one-year-old namesake son denied he was involved in the shooting.

Laura Wilson told reporters that Bradley was with her at 78th and Langley when the child was injured.

“He didn’t do it because he was with me,” Wilson, 20, said.

Wilson, who wore a necklace that spelled out “trust no man,” said she has pictures that prove that Bradley was nowhere near Cole Park on the night of July 4th.

“I told the police that but they said that’s bullsh-- and told me he [Bradley] was cooked,” Wilson said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.