7-year-old shooting victim expected to be released from hospital
BY STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporter July 5, 2013 1:40PM
This car on 85th Street, near the location where a 7-year-old boy was shot on July 4th, had five bullet holes. | Art Golab-Sun-Times photo
Updated: July 5, 2013 1:41PM
A 7-year-old boy who had been shot twice in the neck Thursday night is expected to be released from the hospital Friday afternoon, family members said.
“I feel good. God is good,” said Emanuel Lyles, the boy’s uncle, who said the 7-year-old would be released from Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn on Friday.
The boy had been with family members and friends about 7:25 p.m. Thursday in Cole Park in the 300 block of East 85th when a man began shooting, police said. The shooter left the park in a vehicle, officials said.
Some witnesses said they saw a car circling the park before someone got out and opened fire.
Police said they do not believe the youngster was the intended target. The youngster was near alleged gang members when he was shot, police said.
The Rev. John Murray said he was sitting on his porch when he heard a series of pops. Because there were fireworks going off in the neighborhood, he was unsure if the noise was gunfire.
“I said if nobody moves it’s cool,” Murray said. “But then I saw a lot of people running out of the park like buffalo and I knew someone had been shot.
“No place is safe anymore.”
The park is near the site of where Thomas E. Wortham IV was killed in May 2010 when some men tried to rob him of his motorcycle in front of his parents’ home in Chatham.
Contributing: Art Golab and Jordan Owens