Weather Updates

Grandson charged with murder of 72-year-old man headed to dialysis appointment

William Strickland. Photo/Chicago Police

William Strickland. Photo/Chicago Police

storyidforme: 46974314
tmspicid: 17407911
fileheaderid: 7846092

Updated: March 30, 2013 5:00PM

William Strickland waited for his grandfather to step out of his South Side home as he awaited a paratransit ride for a kidney dialysis appointment.

But it wasn’t to chat. Strickland stood behind his 72-year-old grandfather, then robbed him and shot him six times in the back, leaving him to die in front of his home, authorities said.

Prosecutors on Saturday detailed the grisly robbery, of which Strickland, 19, hoped would allow him to pay for new gym shoes, a cell phone and tattoos.

The teen with no criminal history was ordered held without bail for allegedly shooting down his namesake.

Strickland was charged late Friday with first-degree murder and armed robbery with a handgun for the March 2 shooting in the 400 block of East 95th Street.

Strickland was with another man during the robbery, but he was not in custody on Saturday.

Prosecutors said the gun used in the murder was actually Strickland’s grandfather’s, which he had stolen from him.

The elder Strickland liked to get to his dialysis appointment early to get it out of the way, neighbors said after the murder.

“He went early,” said Theolene Shears, 84. “He said he liked it better so he could get it over with.”

He was doing exactly that when we was killed, police said.

Strickland was headed to a Pace paratransit van, and had just made it to the gangway of his home when two men robbed and shot him several times, police said.

He died a short while later, about 4 a.m., just steps from his home, authorities said.

Neighbors said Strickland, who sometimes walked with a cane, went to dialysis three times a week.

Strickland was friendly with the driver of the van, who was there when the shooting happened, Patrick Wilmot, a spokesman for Pace said at the time.

Family and neighbors said Strickland had recently retired after working for nearly 30 years at a steel mill.

“He (was) a good neighbor, a very nice and congenial, quiet man,” said Shears, who heard three shots.

She said “he watched out for the neighborhood” and reported any trouble he saw.

Contributing: Sun-Times Media, Becky Schlikerman

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.