Cubs pitcher Carlos Marmol accused of domestic violence
BY GORDON WITTENMYER email@example.com January 31, 2013 6:26PM
Chicago Cubs closer Carlos Marmol reacts after the Cubs defeated the New York Yankees 3-1 during an interleague baseball game in Chicago, Friday, June 17, 2011. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
Updated: January 31, 2013 8:25PM
Cubs pitcher Carlos Marmol was accused in a Dominican Republic court on Wednesday of domestic violence involving a 24-year-old woman, and his attorneys, in turn, filed a countersuit claiming extortion, according to a Dominican news report.
Neither Marmol nor his agent, Paul Kinzer, could be immediately reached for comment Thursday.
But a source close to the Cubs’ closer said an investigation into the alleged incident, involving Miledys Mejia Cepeda, already has been completed by local law enforcement officials in the Dominican, without finding sufficient cause to bring charges.
The Cubs, meanwhile, were trying to learn more about the allegations Thursday.
“We became aware of these media reports [Thursday] and are actively looking into the matter,” Team President Theo Epstein said in an e-mail exchange with the Sun-Times. “We’ll withhold further comment until we have more information.”
Marmol, 30, had 20 saves and a 3.42 ERA for a 101-loss Cubs team last year. He is in the final year of a three-year contract that pays him $9.8 million this season.