The list: 15 people shot, 3 fatally, on New Year’s Day
SUN-TIMES MEDIA January 1, 2013 4:50AM
Updated: January 1, 2013 8:34PM
EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to the hate speech and destructive nature of many of the comments being left on this article, commenting has been disabled.
A look at fatal shootings on New Year’s Day in Chicago:
1) The first homicide of the New Year occurred when police responded at 3:45 a.m. to a call of a person down in the alley of the 700 block of North Noble Street, police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada said. Officers discovered a 20-year-old man laying on the ground and bleeding from a gunshot wound to the throat.
Octavius Dontrell Lamb, of the 700 block of North Throop Street, was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital at 4:16 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
2) Kevin Jemison, 29, was shot in the head about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, in the 4500 block of South Champlain Avenue in the Grand Boulevard neighborhood, authorities said. Jemison, of the 4700 block of South Michigan Avenue, was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center where he died less than an hour later.
3) Just before 5 p.m., Devonta Grisson, 19, was shot in the chest during an apparent drive-by attack in the Southwest Side Gage Park neighborhood, in the 5800 block of South Sacramento Avenue, police said. Grisson, of the 6700 block of South Artesian Avenue, was dead at the scene, according to the medical examiner’s office.
A look at non-fatal shootings:
4) A 29-year-old man was shot in the mouth and shoulder after a fight broke out at a bar on the West Side, police said. About 1:15 a.m., a fight erupted inside the bar in the 5000 block of West Madison Street in the Austin neighborhood, said police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro. The 29-year-old man was allegedly involved in the fight, which saw another man get hit on the head with a beer bottle, Alfaro said. The 29-year-old man was shot as he left the bar, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition stabilized, Alfaro said.
5) About 2 a.m., a 22-year-old man was shot in both legs and the scrotum during a fight at a house party on the Southwest Side, police said. He was at a party in the basement of a house in the 9700 block of South Beverly Avenue when he got into a fight with another man, said police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer. The fight escalated and the 22-year-old man was shot, Greer said, adding that he was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition stabilized.
6) About 2:40 a.m., a man was shot in the abdomen in the 11700 block of South Sangamon Street in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood, police said. Police learned of the shooting after the man, believed to be in his 20s, walked into the emergency room of MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, police said. The man was later transferred to Advocate Christ, where he was listed in critical condition, police said.
7) Also around 2:40 a.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the arm near North and Kedzie avenues in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, Greer said. He exited a vehicle and began arguing with a group of people, police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan said. An unknown male then opened fire, shooting the boy once. Someone took the boy to Norwegian-American Hospital but he was later transferred to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center where he was listed in good condition.
8) About 2:45 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot while he was on the front porch of a home in the 5700 block South Laflin Street in the West Englewood neighborhood, police said. He was hit in the right forearm and refused medical treatment, police said.
9) About 3:50 a.m., a teenage girl and a man were shot outside in the 3800 block of South Wells Street in the Fuller Park neighborhood, Greer said. The 17-year-old girl was shot in the leg, Greer said, and the 30-year-old man was shot in the back. Paramedics took the man to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County and the girl to Mercy Hospital and Medical Center, Greer said, adding that both were listed in fair condition.
10) About 6:10 a.m., a man was in “grave” condition and a woman was critically injured in a shooting in the 5900 block of South Maplewood Avenue, said police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan, citing preliminary information. A 28-year-old man was shot in the head and chest, Sullivan said, and a 20-year-old woman was shot in the face and back. Both were taken to Stroger Hospital.
11) Tuesday afternoon at 4:18 p.m., a 21-year-old man was driving in the 4700 block of South Loomis Boulevard in the Back of the Yards neighborhood when two unknown males opened fire, police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan said. The driver was shot four times in the back, arm, chest and leg. He was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital.
12) About 10 minutes later, two teen boys were both shot in the 2600 block of West Chicago Avenue in the West Town neighborhood. One was shot in the chest, and both are in “stable” condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, police said. Their exact ages were not yet known.