Carbon monoxide leak at school sends 25 students to hospital
SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE November 5, 2012 1:32PM
Chicago Fire Dept. on the scene of a possible carbon monoxide leak at the Washington School on the Far South Side Monday, Nov. 5, 2012. | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times
Updated: November 5, 2012 3:58PM
About 25 children were hospitalized in good condition after a carbon monoxide leak at a school in the Burnside neighborhood Monday afternoon.
The children were suffering from nausea, vomiting and headaches before being hospitalized in good condition, according to Fire Media Affairs.
A Level 1 HazMat was called about 12:45 p.m. for the leak at Harold Washington Elementary School at 9130 S. University Ave., on the Far South Side, according to Fire Media Affairs.
Firefighters ventilated the third floor of the building with fans.
The leak may be due to faulty boiler.