Search resumes for Indiana teen missing in Lake Michigan
Post-Tribune staff report July 9, 2012 11:32AM
Updated: July 10, 2012 2:05AM
PORTAGE - The search for a missing 15-year-old boy who went missing while swimming in Lake Michigan Sunday was halted Monday night.
It is unclear what type of search will occur Tuesday.
Bruce Rowe, a park ranger spokesman for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, said that the Coast Guard had a boat and helicopter searching for the boy and that the DNR also had a boat searching Monday.
Gene Davis, an officer with the DNR, identified the boy as Corey McFry and said in a release that he had been swimming at the Portage Lakefront Park with about three friends Sunday afternoon. He was standing on a sandbar when he either stepped off it or was knocked off by 4-foot waves. He went under water, and his friends could not find him.
That area of Lake Michigan was under a rip current advisory at the time, according to Davis.
The park was closed Sunday around 7 p.m. so officials could search for the boy.