suntimes
ANNOYING 
Weather Updates

‘SCARIEST DAY OF MY LIFE’

Police released these surveillance photos group teens suspected beating iPhone robbery Red Line downtown June 9. /  phofrom Chicago

Police released these surveillance photos of a group of teens suspected in a beating and iPhone robbery on the Red Line downtown on June 9. / photo from Chicago Police

storyidforme: 32036814
tmspicid: 11678566
fileheaderid: 5330266
Mitchell: Mob attacks not about race
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: July 15, 2012 3:19PM



She called it the “scariest day of my life.”

A west suburban woman said she watched a mob of teens brutally attack a 23-year-old male friend she accompanied Saturday night to a Brad Paisley concert at Wrigley Field with the man’s wife.

The wife dropped her iPhone on a seat of a CTA Red Line train after the concert, and one of the teens grabbed it.

“He said, ‘I’ll be taking this,’ ” the woman said.

When the man protested, a mob of teens beat him up, fracturing an orbital bone and breaking his teeth, said the woman, who did not want to be identified.

The teens “were beating the crap out of him, punches to the side and front of his face. He was on the ground trying to cover his face,” the woman said.

“I was punched several times in the back of the head . . . ,” the man told WMAQ-Channel 5.

He added that after the attack, one “gentleman gave me his shirt to wipe all the blood off my face.”

The woman said she identified the attackers on an L security camera for Chicago Police.

On Wednesday, police released CTA surveillance photos of the teens suspected in the attack. Police said they were sorting through tips generated by people who saw the photos posted by news outlets.

The beating was one of three weekend mob attacks.

Also Saturday night, a 43-year-old Michigan conventioneer suffered a broken jaw when a mob of teens attacked him. Eight teens — including 18-year-old Mitchelle Cordarrowe of the 5900 block of South Indiana and seven juveniles — were charged.

Another man, a 36-year-old doctor, was attacked by a mob of teens in the 800 block of North DeWitt on the Gold Coast, but was unable to identify his assailants and no one was arrested.

On Wednesday, Mayor Rahm Emanuel vowed the police will quickly put a stop to such wildings.

“We dealt with it last year. We’re going to deal with it again this year, very successfully,” the mayor said. “We have a beautiful city that I want our residents to enjoy and I want also our tourists to enjoy.”

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy has said he will use the same tactics employed last year after a rash of downtown mob attacks. In the summer of 2011, undercover officers rode trains to identify potential troublemakers heading downtown. Other undercover officers were positioned on downtown streets to prevent mob violence.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.