Koschman mom on ruling: ‘I didn’t think it was going to go my way’
BY TIM NOVAK AND CHRIS FUSCO Staff Reporters April 7, 2012 11:58AM
Nanci Koschman wipes away tears while addressing reporters after a hearing at the Cook County Criminal Courts Building Friday, April 6, 2012, in Chicago. A judge made the decision to have a special prosecutor appointed to reinvestigate the death case of Koschman's son, David Koschman. | John J. Kim~Sun-Times
Related Documents
- More coverage: The David Koschman case
- Mark Brown: David Koschman closer to justice than I ever thought possible
Article Extras
Updated: May 9, 2012 9:50AM
The ruling had been made, and everyone was leaving Judge Michael Toomin’s courtroom Friday at 26th and California, but Nanci Koschman remained, sitting in the front row, quietly weeping. Nearly eight years had passed since her 21-year-old son, David Koschman, had died after being punched in the face in a drunken confrontation with Richard J. “R.J.” Vanecko, a nephew of then-Mayor Richard M. Daley. And finally someone in a position of authority agreed with her that something should be done. The judge, finding fault with the way the Chicago Police Department and the Cook County state’s attorney’s office handled the investigation, said he would appoint a special prosecutor to re-examine the case and determine whether criminal charges should be filed against anyone. “It’s been a long time coming,” said Koschman, a widow from Mount Prospect who had lost her only child with David’s death. Her family was with her — her sister, Susan Pazderski, and brother-in-law, Richard Pazderski. So were the lawyers who took on her cause at no charge, Locke E. Bowman and G. Flint Taylor. “I didn’t think it was going to go my way,” Koschman said. “Not a lot has gone my way in the eight years since I lost my son. “I’ve been frozen in time. I’m glad somebody will look into this now.”
I didn’t teach him to go out and fight with people. And it was so hard for me every night to put my head down, thinking that he was to blame. “He talked, yes. He had a mouth. So does his mother. But I don’t think that, if I’m yelling at you, that you have a right to put your hands on me for any reason if I don’t have a weapon or my fists aren’t raised . . . I want people to know that David may have been drunk and angry, but he did not deserve to have anybody touch him.”
His death remained classified as an unsolved homicide until January 2011, when a request from the Sun-Times for police files prompted a re-investigation that ended with the police closing the case without seeking criminal charges. They said Vanecko — although he threw the only punch and never spoke with the police or explained why — had acted in self-defense. In December, citing the Sun-Times’ investgation, Koschman, her sister and brother-in-law and their lawyers petitioned the court seeking the appointment of a special prosecutor.
